November 16, 2022 - January 1, 2023
November 29 - December 23
December 1 - 21
December 2 @ 10:30 am - December 16 @ 5:00 pm
December 6 @ 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Business Advisory Committee recommends changes to proposed city lighting ordinance December 5, 2022After nearly two hours of discussion, Hendersonville’s Business Advisory Committee voted Monday to recommend that City Council make two key changes to a proposed lighting ordinance.
- Land of Sky honors Volk, Brissie and Edwards for leadership December 5, 2022Hendersonville Mayor Barbara Volk, Henderson County Emergency Management Director Jimmy Brissie and U.S. Rep.-elect Chuck Edwards were honored for their service to the region on Nov. 30 during the annual awards of the Land of Sky Regional Council.
- Voting opens in Christmas lights contest December 5, 2022Love Christmas lights? You're in luck.
- Velma Gillespie goes to school December 5, 2022The Lightning is running the memoir of Velma Gillespie Brittain during the slower news cycle of these holiday weeks.
- LOCAL BRIEFS: 'A Christmas Memory,' Santa letters, toy collection December 5, 2022
- Consultant presents new brand for Historic Seventh Avenue District December 5, 2022Drawing on the neighborhood's rich past as an important farm commodities shipping station, bustling passenger rail center and stable African-American community while incorporating a fresh spirit of entrepreneurship, a consultant last week unveiled a new brand for the Historic Seventh Avenue District: "Downtown's Historic Edge."
- Updated Coronavirus Information March 12, 2020Updated coronavirus information from state health officials. https://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/public-health/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-response-north-carolina Updated coronavirus information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html Updated coronavirus information from Johns Hopkins https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
- South African president Nelson Mandela dies at 95 December 5, 2018On December 5, 2013, Nelson Mandela, the former activist who overcame a nearly three-decade prison stint to become president of South Africa, passes away after years of struggling with health issues. He was 95. "Our nation has lost its greatest son. Our people have lost a father," South African ...
- 21st amendment is ratified; Prohibition ends December 5, 2018The 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is ratified, repealing the 18th Amendment and bringing an end to the era of national prohibition of alcohol in America. At 5:32 p.m. EST, Utah became the 36th state to ratify the amendment, achieving the requisite three-fourths majority of states’ ...