- Cooper lifts mask mandate, stadium limits May 14, 2021Gov. Roy Cooper on Friday lifted the indoor mask mandate in most settings and eased mass gathering restrictions and social distancing requirements.
- Law officers from four agencies collar suspected drug traffickers May 14, 2021Henderson County sheriff’s deputies and law officers from three other agencies conducted a large-scale roundup of drug trafficking suspects shortly after 8 a.m. today.
- Small towns teeter on edge of insolvency May 14, 2021RALEIGH — After a decade of financial struggle, the small town of East Laurinburg in Scotland County could soon cease to exist.
- Raising Canes: GOP senators urge Cooper to increase capacity for playoffs May 14, 2021RALEIGH — The National Hockey League’s Stanley Cup playoffs start this weekend, and, as it turns out, the Carolina Hurricanes are one of the best teams in the league, albeit in a shortened 56-game season.
- Landscapers step up to mow Shepherd Memorial Park for free May 13, 2021Henderson County residents who have family members buried at Shepherd Memorial Park had become increasingly distressed at the condition of the cemetery.
- House OKs bill easing liquor regulations May 13, 2021RALEIGH — A bill advancing decades of work to reform the state’s liquor regulations passed in the N.C. House and heads now to the Senate.
- Updated Coronavirus Information March 12, 2020Updated coronavirus information from state health officials. https://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/public-health/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-response-north-carolina Updated coronavirus information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html Updated coronavirus information from Johns Hopkins https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
- State of Israel proclaimed February 9, 2010On May 14, 1948, in Tel Aviv, Jewish Agency Chairman David Ben-Gurion proclaims the State of Israel, establishing the first Jewish state in 2,000 years. Ben-Gurion became Israel’s first premier. In the distance, the rumble of guns could be heard from fighting that broke out between Jews and Arabs ...
- America’s first space station, Skylab, is launched February 9, 2010Skylab, America’s first space station, is successfully launched into an orbit around the earth. Eleven days later, U.S. astronauts Charles Conrad, Joseph Kerwin, and Paul Weitz made a rendezvous with Skylab, repairing a jammed solar panel and conducting scientific experiments during their 28-day ...