WTZQ AND SUNDAY MORNING HYMN TIME PRESENT
THE CHURCH BULLETIN BOARD
Local and out of town announcements for special services and gospel concerts are listed – along with local church and club announcements for regular weekly or monthly events.
If you have something you would like listed on WTZQ’s Church Bulletin Board send it via email to email@example.com
WTZQ AM 1600
Can be heard in
Asheville – Canton – Brevard – Tryon – Columbus – Shelby – Marion
and Upstate South Carolina
95.3 “Q” FM
Broadcasts all throughout Henderson County
Listen on-line anywhere – anytime
Special Notice: If your church has special services or singings coming up that you would like to promote on the Sunday Morning Hymn Time Page of WTZQ.COM and to have announced on the Sunday Morning Hymn Time Radio Program –please send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
CHURCH & GOSPEL SINGINGS
AND COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
American Guild of Organists – Young Organists Concert
The Blue Ridge Chapter of the American Guild of Organists will sponsor a concert by young organists on Saturday March 25 at 3:00 p.m. in the Chapel of Christ School, Arden, N.C. The performers are students of Dr. Joby Bell, professor of organ music at the Haynes School of Music of Appalachian State University in Boone, N.C. The works of J.S. Bach, Herbert Howells, Franz J. Haydn, and William Mathias will be heard on the school’s recently renovated pipe organ. There is no admission fee and the public is invited.
Local church musicians looking for a support group, ideas, opportunities for learning and growth, and sharing musical suggestions are invited to join the Blue Ridge Chapter of the American Guild of Organists.
The national organization of the American Guild of Organists was founded in 1896 as an educational and service organization.
The mission statement of the American Guild of Organists is to foster a thriving community of musicians who share their knowledge and inspire passion for the organ.
It is the goal of the guild members to advance the cause of organ and choral music, to increase their contributions to aesthetic and religious experience and to improve the proficiency of organists and choral conductors.
Member of the American Guild of Organists seek to set and maintain high musical standards and promote understanding and appreciation for all aspects of organ and choral music.
Organists, Pianists, Choral Directors, Church Musicians, and lovers of church music are invited to become members. Those interested in joining may contact Charlie Steele at 828-553-6683.
Blue Grass Bash
Hendersonville Presbyterian Church located at North Grove Street will host a Blue Grass Bash, every 3rd Sunday of the month from 7 pm to 8 pm. Free admission for the event as well as free ice cream, cookies and coffee. A love offering will be taken for the bands
Here is the 2023 Blue Grass Bash Musical Lineup
April 16 Lynn Goldsmith & The Jeter Mountain Band
May 21 Muley Holler Gang
June 18 Junction 280 Band
July 16 Hightop Mountain Harmony Band
Aug 20 Jerry Salley
Sep 17 Lynn Goldsmith & The Jeter Mountain Band
Oct 15 Liberty Road Band
Nov 19 Muley Holler Gang
Dec 17 The King James Boys
Easter at St. John in the Wilderness
The Episcopal Church of St. John in the Wilderness welcomes children of all ages to participate in an Easter Egg Hunt at 10 am on Easter Sunday, April 9th. The annual event is hosted by St. John’s Young Family Ministry.
Participants are encouraged to join the fun in the Rector’s Garden and Parish Hall lawn next to the Parish Hall across Rutledge Drive from the church. Parking is available.
“We invite neighbors, friends, and visitors to join us for Easter at St. John in the Wilderness this year,” said Fr. Josh Stephens, Rector. “We are excited to offer the Easter Egg Hunt for the community, as well as the beautiful worship with a warm welcome as we celebrate Christ’s resurrection.”
The Holy Week schedule begins April 2. Here is a list of all services:
Palm Sunday, April 2
8:45 and 11:00 a.m. Rite I Eucharists
Maundy Thursday, April 6
7:00 p.m. Service with Foot Washing and Stripping of the Altar
Good Friday, April 7
11:00 a.m. Stations of the Cross – meet in the parking lot of the Parish Hall
12:00 p.m. Good Friday Service (No Eucharist)
1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Veneration of the Cross in the church
5:30 p.m. Good Friday Service (No Eucharist)
Easter Sunday, April 8
8:45 a.m. Easter Service – Rite II Eucharist
10:00 a.m. Easter Egg Hunt in the Rector’s Garden and Parish Hall Lawn
11:00 a.m. Easter Service – Rite II Eucharist
For more information please visit www.stjohnflatrock.org.
# # #
West Hendersonville Baptist Easter Events
Mission: West Hendersonville Baptist Church’s mission statement is “Reaching, Teaching, and Ministering to the Whole Family with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.” We have a passion to live out this ministry in our community.
Event – Passion Play
Event Details: Then Came the Morning / A dramatic presentation depicting the Passion of Jesus Christ: his Trial, Suffering, and Death
Event – Easter Sunday
Event – EGG HUNT
Where: West Hendersonville Baptist Church Campus – 730 Willow Road
Friends of Music Presents Becky Stone, Artist
A unique program of storytelling and music is offered to the public on Sunday afternoon, April 23rd, at the Episcopal Church of St. John in the Wilderness, Flat Rock, NC. The 4:00 p.m concert features BECKY STONE, a talented musician, actor, and teller-of-folk tales.
Each performance of Becky’s is one-of-a-kind, created with a specific audience in mind. As she explains, “I love world tales and bringing the music of language and other dialects to the audience. And there is always the possibility that I will bring an African version of a Bible story.”
Becky incorporates music and audience participation in her programs which frequently leave children and adults enthralled. For over 30 years she has performed in the Carolinas and Tennessee with drama, educational, and religious groups as well as at Storytelling festivals.
Friends of Music present this concert at the Parish Hall of St. John in the Wilderness, located across Rutledge Drive from the church, 1895 Greenville Highway in Flat Rock.
No advance registration is necessary.
For more information visit www.stjohnflatrock.org
Tours of the Episcopal Church of St. John in the Wilderness in Flat Rock will continue going into the New Year. The next scheduled tour is set for Saturday, April 15, 2023 at 11 am.
The church and churchyard (cemetery) tours returned last summer and are sponsored by the St. John Episcopal Church Docents. They will begin inside the Carriage Door entrance of the church with the first led by lead docent, E.R. Haire, Jr. Other docents will rotate monthly as guides. “We are pleased to give tours of the historic church and cemetery. As a vibrant congregation we welcome all to come to this sacred place and share in the story of St John in the Wilderness,” said Haire.
The free tours are limited to 30 people. Reservations are to be made online on the church’s website, www.stjohnflatrock.org/tours.
The tours will be held monthly on the third Saturday at 11 a.m. There will be no rain dates. They will last about an hour. Please wear comfortable shoes.
The historically significant cemetery contains graves of un-named 19th century people who were enslaved as well as distinguished political figures, and local citizens.
In 1827 Charles Baring, a member of the Baring banking family of England, built a home in Flat Rock. He and his wife, Susan, wanted a summer place to escape the oppressive heat, humidity, and malaria of the South Carolina Lowcountry where they lived. The Barings built a chapel on the property of their newly constructed home. Soon after it was built the small wooden structure burned down in a woods fire. In 1833 work began on a second church built of handmade brick.
In August of 1836 the Barings deeded their chapel to the Diocese of North Carolina and 20 members of the Flat Rock “summer colony” formed themselves into an Episcopal parish. In the 1890s when the Missionary District of Asheville (later Diocese of Western North Carolina) was formed, St. John in the Wilderness transferred its affiliation. It is the oldest parish in the diocese.
With almost all the church members traveling back to the Lowcountry after the summer season, the church mainly operated during summer months for its first 120 years. So rapid was the growth of the Flat Rock community during the 1830s and 1840s that the parish membership outgrew the capacity of the small chapel. In the early 1850s the decision was made to rebuild the church, essentially doubling its size. With only a few minor modifications the structure wascompleted in 1852. It is the one that stands today.
First families of the early years of our country, descendants of signers of the Declaration of Independence, influential politicians of the 19th century, military leaders and others of note are buried in the churchyard.
# # # #
Announcing the Return of The Bazaar at St. John in the Wilderness
Episcopal Church Women (ECW) will host “The Bazaar at St. John in the Wilderness” on Saturday, May 20, 2023 from 8:30 am to 1 pm inside the Parish Hall and grounds on the church campus. Fine items, artwork, jewelry, glassware, furniture, linens, silver, plants and more will highlight the fundraiser with proceeds assisting local charities involving women, children and families.
Linda Giltner, co-chair of the event, said, “Join us to make the needed money to support so many organizations in our community.”
Early bird shoppers are welcome at 7:30 am with a $10 entry fee. There is no fee to shop inside the Parish Hall from 8:30 until 1 pm. The Bazaar at St. John in the Wilderness dates from 1880. It’s had various names, even in the past 10 years. Its nature remains unchanged, to provide assistance to the community.
The Bazaar at St. John in the Wilderness is now organized by the women (ECW – Episcopal Church
Women). The Bazaar has grown tremendously over the years. All proceeds are used to serve our local community.
This year we continue to honor the deep history of St. John in the Wilderness with a special poster designed similar to the poster used 123 years ago in August of 1900.
The Parish Hall is located across the street from the church at 1905 Greenville Highway. For more information call the church office at 828-693-9783.
REGULAR WEEKLY OR MONTHLY EVENTS FOR LOCAL CHURCHES AND CLUBS
Providence Baptist, 1201 Oakland Street, Hendersonville is a Cooperative Baptist Fellowship church, committed to being an open and welcoming community of diverse ages and faith backgrounds. We honor our Baptist history and values while leaving space for God’s Mystery to work in and through us, irrespective of denominational or religious affiliation. In all ways, we strive to love God and love our neighbors near and far.
Regular Sunday services at Providence, are:
9:00 am Spiritual Formation, Bible Study and Exploration for all ages
10:30 am Sunday Worship, The first Sunday of each month we celebrate Communion.
11:30 am Deeper Fellowship, A time for refreshments and conversation after worship.
4:00 pm Worship Meal at Providence House, a meal served to any and all.
Food pantry open Sunday 4:30pm – 6:00pm. Call 828-697-2878 or go to
- Spoken Word Church, located at 304 South Broad, Brevard, NC, Brevard. Our Faith IS the Victory and home of Pastors Sam &Sharon Bradham, graduates of Rhema Bible Training College in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.
- Sunday Services:
9:30-10:15a.m. School of The Word (With Joyce Seigel. Graduate of Rhema (RBTC)
10:30 a.m. Worship& Praise
11a.m. Message: “1 John 5:4”Visit our website: Spokenwordchurch.org as well as our YouTube Channel (Good for “shut-ins”). 828-884-5942
- “OASIS” AT GRACE LUTHERAN: DINNER, LEARNING & FELLOWSHIP FOR ALL AGES BEGINNING SEPT.13, AND CONTINUING UNTIL NEXT SPRING, THE COMMUNITY IS INVITED TO BE PART OF “OASIS,” GRACE LUTHERAN’S WEDNESDAY EVENING PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN, YOUTH AND ADULTS. BEGINNING WITH DINNER FROM 4:45 TO 5:30 P.M., THE EVENING CONTINUES FROM 5:30 TO 7:30 P.M. WITH EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES FOR ALL AGES INCLUDING CHOIR REHEARSALS, ADULT BIBLE STUDIES LED BY A PASTOR, YOUTH GROUP ACTIVITIES, AND SUPERVISED CHILDREN’S ACTIVITIES FOR AGES 5 YEARS THROUGH 5TH GRADE. CHILD CARE FOR CHILDREN BIRTH THROUGH 5 YEARS OLD WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE AFTER DINNER. FOR DINNER RESERVATIONS, PLEASE CALL THE CHURCH BY MONDAY AFTERNOON FOR THE UPCOMING WEDNESDAY MEAL. MEALS INCLUDE A MAIN DISH, VEGGIE CHOICES, DESSERT AND A SALAD BAR. THE COST FOR DINNER IS $5 PER PERSON, $3 FOR CHILDREN UNDER 12, AND $16 FAMILY CAP. THERE IS A WEDNESDAY EVENING CHILD MENTORING PROGRAM CALLED “STUDY BUDDIES” FOR CHILDREN AGES 5 YEARS OLD THROUGH 5TH GRADE. ADULT MEMBERS OF GRACE MENTOR CHILDREN IN THEIR SCHOOL WORK AND SPIRITUAL GROWTH. CHILDREN DO NOT HAVE TO BE MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH TO PARTICIPATE. TWO FORTY-FIVE-MINUTE SESSIONS ARE AVAILABLE FROM 4:15 TO 5 P.M. OR 5:15 TO 6 P.M. PARENTS SHOULD CALL 828-693-4890 AND REGISTER THEIR CHILDREN IN ADVANCE IF THEY WISH TO JOIN THE STUDY BUDDY PROGRAM. FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL YOUTH (6TH-8TH GRADES) THERE IS A PROGRAM EVERY WEDNESDAY EVENING AFTER OASIS DINNER UNTIL 7:30PM. PARENTS JOIN THE YOUTH AT 7:15 FOR A JOINT END TO THE MEETING CALLED “FINAL FIFTEEN”. ADULTS IN THE COMMUNITY ARE INVITED TO JOIN THE ENTIRE SERIES OR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING WEEKLY PROGRAMS IN FELLOWSHIP HALL. NO REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED, AND NO FEES ARE CHARGED. PASTOR GREG WILLIAMS WILL LEAD THE FIRST SIX-WEEK SERIES TITLED, “EMBRACING THE PROPHETS IN CONTEMPORARY CULTURE.” WALTER BRUEGGEMANN, ARGUABLY AMERICA’S LEADING OLD TESTAMENT SCHOLAR AND THEOLOGIAN, TAKES PARTICIPANTS THROUGH DVD-LED PRESENTATIONS ON A WILD RIDE THROUGH THE POETIC PROPHECY OF THE HEBREW SCRIPTURE, IDENTIFYING CULTURAL CONTEXTS, PUTTING A FRAMEWORK TO ISRAEL’S HISTORY, AND, MOST SIGNIFICANTLY—AND AT TIMES CHALLENGINGLY —DRAWING CONNECTIONS BETWEEN ISRAEL’S SOCIOLOGICAL, ECONOMIC AND SPIRITUAL STATUS AND THAT OF AMERICA TODAY. THIS SERIES WILL TAKE A BREAK ON OCT. 4 FOR PASTOR ALFREDO OVIEDO TO LEAD THE ADULT CLASS WITH AN INTRODUCTION TO CULTURAL AWARENESS MONTH AND ON NOV. 1, PASTOR OVIEDO WILL LEAD A CROSS GENERATIONAL CELEBRATION OF DIA DE LOS MUERTOS “DAY OF THE DEAD.” GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH IS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF SIXTH AVENUE WEST AND BLYTHE STREET IN HENDERSONVILLE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CALL 828-693-4890 OR VISIT THE CHURCH WEBSITE, GRACEHENDERSONVILLE.COM
- MUSIC CLASSES, BEGINNING TUESDAY, JANUARY, 31, TERRY BAKER WILL HOST A MUSIC SCHOOL AT WEST HENDERSONVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH TO TEACH MUSIC. TUESDAY NIGHT FROM 6 PM TILL 7 PM IS A CLASS ON VOICE AND EAR TRAINING. WEDNESDAY NIGHT FROM 6:30 PM TO 7:30 PM IS A CLASS FOR KIDS TO LEARN TO READ MUSIC, BY TEACHING THEM HOW TO PLAY THE RECORDER. THURSDAY NIGHT IS A CLASS FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO LEARN BASIC MUSIC READING FROM 6 PM TILL 7 PM AND THEN FOLLOWING THAT CLASS FROM 7 PM TILL 8 PM THERE WILL BE A CLASS ON ADVANCE MUSIC THEORY. THESE FREE CLASSES ARE TERRY’S WAY OF GIVING BACK WHAT GOD HAS GIVEN HIM OVER THE YEARS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL TERRY AT 828-329-8938
- NON-DENOMINATIONAL MONTHLY HEALING PRAYER TIME AT GRACE LUTHERAN,GRACE LUTHERAN WILL AGAIN THIS YEAR OFFER HEALING PRAYER TIME BY THE GRACE PRAYER MINISTERS AND THE ORDER OF SAINT LUKE TO THE COMMUNITY THE SECOND FRIDAY OF EVERY MONTH IN THE CHURCH SANCTUARY. THOSE SEEKING PRAYER SUPPORT AND HELP SHOULD ARRIVE BETWEEN 1 AND 1:30 P.M. AND PLAN TO STAY AT LEAST 30 MINUTES. ATTENDEES ARE INVITED TO SIT QUIETLY AND SOAK IN THE PRAYERS BEING OFFERED UP FOR THEM WHETHER FOR PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL OR SPIRITUAL HEALING. THIS IS A CHRISTIAN BASED NON-DENOMINATIONAL TIME OF PRAYER. EVERYONE IS WELCOME. GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH IS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF SIXTH AVENUE WEST AND BLYTHE STREET IN HENDERSONVILLE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CALL 828-693-4890.
- FREE CHORAL SHEET MUSIC, COMPLIMENTS OF SOR MUSIC (PRAISE AND WORSHIP, GOSPEL CHOIR, HYMN AND SPIRITUAL ARRANGEMENTS) “MUSIC THAT WILL UPLIFT YOUR SPIRITS.” LEARN MORE ABOUT SOR MUSIC AT: HTTPS://YOUTU.BE/IKUO8WHBMPS. LISTEN TO DEMOS OF FREE MUSIC AT: WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/SORMUSIC1. FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AT: WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/SORMUSIC1. FOLLOW US ON REVERBNATION: HTTPS://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/WILLIEELLEBIE
- RON CRANE AND THE “CHOSEN EDITION QUARTET” ARE AVAILABLE FOR SPECIAL SINGINGS AND CHURCH SERVICES, CALL RON AT 828-606-0365 FOR INFORMATION AND BOOKINGS. RON SANG WITH THE FAIRHAVEN QUARTET, HIGHEST HONOR AND OTHER LOCAL – NATIONAL AND REGIONAL QUARTETS.
- THE OLD FRIENDS QUARTET OF ASHEVILLE ANNOUNCES: IF YOUR CHURCH OR ORGANIZATION WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THIS GREAT LOCAL SOUTHERN GOSPEL GROUP – IN CONCERT – AT YOUR CHURCH FOR A SPECIAL WORSHIP SERVICE, CONCERT, OR IF YOUR CLUB OR ORGANIZATION WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THEM SING… YOU CAN CONTACT QUARTET MEMBER – ORVILE CUTSHALL AT  301-2278 OR  667-5758.
- GERALD & VERNA EDWARDS – PREACHING & SINGING – ALL THE GOSPELAVAILABLE FOR REVIVALS – HOMECOMINGS – SINGINGS – CONCERTS. THE EDWARDS HAVE BEEN SINGING FOR OVER 40 YEARS TOGETHER. TO CONTACT – CALL 478-784-1470 OR WRITE TO THEM AT GERALD & VERNA MINISTRIES –5305 ROGERS ROAD LIZELLA, GEORGIA 31052. TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THEIR MINISTRY…THEIR WEB-SITE IS: www.geraldandvernaministries.com.
- INVITIATION TO WORSHIP, FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF HENDERSONVILLE PCUSA INVITES ANYONE WHO IS LOOKING FOR A LOVING PLACE TO WORSHIP TO PLEASE JOIN US AT OUR NEW LOCATION FOR SUNDAY SCHOOL AND WORSHIP AT 610 YARBROUGH ST., HENDERSONVILLE, BEHIND THE FRESH MARKET. SUNDAY SCHOOL FOR ADULTS, CHILDREN AND TEENAGERS BEGINS AT 9 A.M. THE WORSHIP SERVICE STARTS AT 10 A.M. REFRESHMENTS AND FELLOWSHIP TIME FOLLOW THE WORSHIP SERVICE, LED BY THE REV. GRACE BOYER. THE CHURCH ALSO OFFERS A TUESDAY NIGHT BIBLE STUDY AND POTLUCK SUPPER PROGRAM FROM 6 TO 7:30 P.M. AT ROTATING LOCATIONS. FOR MORE DETAILS, PLEASE EMAIL FPC.HVL.PCUSA@GMAIL.COM.
- BALFOUR UNITED METHODIST CHURCH’S BREAD MINISTRY: FREE BREAD TO THOSE WHO COME FROM 3:00 TO 4:00 PM – EACH MONDAY AT THE CHURCH – U.S. 25 NORTH – ACROSS HUNTER CHEVROLET
- PILLOWCASE MINISTRY AT MUD CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH OF HENDERSONVILLE EVERY MONDAY MORNING, A DEDICATED GROUP OF VOLUNTEERS MEETS AT THE CHURCH TO SEW THE DONATED MATERIALS INTO BEAUTIFUL DRESSES, SHORTS, TEDDY BEARS, TOTE BAGS AND OTHER ITEMS FOR CHILDREN IN NEED AT HOME AND AROUND THE WORLD USING OLD PILLOWCASES, SLIGHTLY USED BED SHEETS AND VARIOUS SCRAPS OF CLOTH THAT FILLS THE UPSTAIRS CLOSETS AT MUD CREEK BAPTIST. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS MINISTRY CALL MUD CREEK BAPTIST INFORMATION OR TICKETS: 1-888-238-6858 OR
- TUESDAY AND THURSDAY WALKING EXERCISE CLASSES AT GRACE LUTHERAN, WELLNESS MINISTRY AT GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH INVITES THE COMMUNITY TO PARTICIPATE THROUGHOUT 2016 IN TWICE-WEEKLY FREE EXERCISE CLASSES TO PROMOTE HEALTHY BODIES. A WALKING EXERCISE CLASS IS OFFERED ON TUESDAY AND THURSDAY MORNING AT 9 A.M. IN STULL HALL. AFTER A DEVOTION, A WALKING DVD GIVES PARTICIPANTS THE OPTION TO WALK BETWEEN ONE AND FOUR MILES. WEIGHTS AND STRETCH BANDS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE. PARTICIPANTS CAN CHOOSE EASY WALKING OR VIGOROUS WORKOUTS AND DROP-INS ARE WELCOME. GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH IS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF SIXTH AVENUE WEST AND BLYTHE STREET IN HENDERSONVILLE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
- DANIEL: LIVES OF INTEGRITY, WORDS OF PROPHECY, EVERY TUESDAY AT, 9:00 AM AT HENDERSONVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. LADIES BIBLE STUDY TAUGHT BY BETH MOORE. EMAIL JOANNE NAGLE AT JNAGLE50@GMAIL.COM OR CALL 910-818-0695. LOCATED AT 699 N. GROVE ST.
- “WELCOME TABLE” SERVES MORE THAN A MEAL AT HOPE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF EAST FLAT ROCK SERVED EACH TUESDAY EVENING FROM 5:00 TILL 6:30 PM. A WARM NUTRITIOUS MEAL IS SERVED EVERY TUESDAY NIGHT TO ANYONE WHO COMES. THE CHURCH ALSO FEATURES A CHILDREN’S CORNER WITH ADULT SUPERVISION. 3 DEDICATED NURSES PROVIDE WEEKLY BLOOD PRESSURE CHECKS AND GENERAL HEALTH ADVICE. A DEVOTIONAL SERVICE IS ALSO OFFERED. SEVERAL PEOPLE COMING TO THE WELCOME TABLE ALSO HAVE BEEN HELPED IN THEIR SEARCH FOR SHELTER, JOBS AND A CHURCH HOME. NO ONE IS TURNED AWAY! EVERYONE WELCOME. CALL 230-3533 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
- MUD CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH ANNOUNCES “MOPS – ‘MOTHERS OF PRE-SCHOOLERS” – MEETS THE SECOND AND FOURTH TUESDAY OF EACH MONTH FROM 9:00 TILL 11:00 AM
- COMMUNITY SERVICE CENTER – THE ADVENTIST COMMUNITY SERVICES CENTER AT 2301 ASHEVILLE HIGHWAY, OPEN FROM 9:00 AM TILL NOON EVERY TUESDAY. THE CENTER IS SELLING CLEAN CLOTHING AT REASONABLE PRICES AND FUNDS WILL BE USED TO BUY FOOD AND PERSONAL ITEMS NEEDED BY THOSE WHO ARE OUT OF WORK AND NEED HELP. DONATIONS OF USED CLOTHING IN GOOD CONDITION ARE ACCEPTED DURING BUSINESS HOURS ON TUESDAYS. FOR INFO: 697-4288.
- CHRISTIAN MEN’S BREAKFAST BIBLE STUDY OPEN TO COMMUNITY (ALL YEAR EVERY WEDNESDAY, THE CHRISTIAN MEN’S BREAKFAST BIBLE STUDY IS CELEBRATING ITS THIRD YEAR WITH A GROWING MEMBERSHIP AND IS OPEN FOR NEW MEMBERS. THIS ECUMENICAL GROUP MEETS EACH WEDNESDAY AT THE DIXIE DINER ON US 64 WEST IN LAUREL PARK AT 7:30 A.M. EVERY WEEK, FOUR SCRIPTURES ARE CHOSEN PER THE WEEKLY LECTIONARY USED IN MOST CHRISTIAN LITURGICAL CHURCHES. THE FOUR SCRIPTURE LESSONS INCLUDE AN OLD TESTAMENT WRITING, A PSALM, AN EPISTLE AND A GOSPEL. PARTICIPANTS SHOULD BRING THEIR BIBLE OF CHOICE AND NO HOMEWORK IS REQUIRED. DURING THE BREAKFAST MEETING EACH ASSIGNED SCRIPTURE IS READ AND DISCUSSED REGARDING THE CONTEXT AND THE MEANING FOR PEOPLE TODAY. THOSE WHO ATTEND ORDER BREAKFAST FROM THE MENU AND ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COST. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CALL BOB ANDERSEN, STUDY FACILITATOR, AT 828-697-0464.
- FRIENDS IN CHRIST GROUP, TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH INVITES MEN OF THE COMMUNITY TO JOIN IN MEETING AS “FRIENDS IN CHRIST” AT 10:30 AM ON WEDNESDAY MORNINGS IN THE CHURCH LOUNGE. “FRIENDS IN CHRIST” OFFERS MEN A TIIME AND PLACE TO GET TOGETHER TO TALK AND SHARE PERSONAL FEELINGS WITH OTHER MEN WITHOUT FEAR OF BEING EMBARRISED OR JUDGED. WHILE BIBLICAL SCRIPTURE IS A MAJOR SOURCE FOR CLOSER CONNECTION WITH GOD AND EACH OTHER, “FRIENDS IN CHRIST” IS NOT A BIBLE STUDY GROUP. MEN SHOW UP BECAUSE THEY ENJOY BEING THERE AMONG FRIENDS OR FEEL A NEED TO BE PRESENT WHERE ALL ARE WELCOMED. MEN ARE INVITED TO COME TO LISTEN, COME TO SHARE, OR COME JUST TO BE A FRIEND TO OTHER MEN OF THE COMMUNITY IN WARM COMFORTABLE SURROUNDINGS AT TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. LOCATED AT 900 BLYTHE ST, HENDERSONVILLE, 828-692-6114.
- FAST PROGRAM FOR FIFTH AND SIXTH GRADERS, WEDNESDAYS AT 6:35 PM AND SUNDAYS AT 9:30 AM AT HENDERSONVILLE PRESBYTERIAN, 699 N. GROVE STREET, HENDERSONVILLE. FOR INFO: 828-692-3211.
- BLUE RIDGE CHRISTIAN CHURCH 147 OREN DRIVE, MILLS RIVER EXTENDS AN INVITATION TO ATTEND “BETTER CHOICES CLUB” WHICH MEETS EVERY THIRD WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH AT 7:00 PM TO DISCUSS FAMILY FINANCIAL TOPICS. INFO: 687-7826.
- “CELEBRATE RECOVERY” MEETS AT LIVING WATER BAPTIST CHURCH THURSDAY’S FROM 6:30 PM TO 7:30 PM. THIS IS FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH AN ADDICTION. THE CHURCH IS ON SUGARLOAF ROAD, HENDERSONVILLE. FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL 606-9259
- THE ORDER OF ST. LUKE MEETS AT ST. JAMES EPISCOPAL CHURCH , THE THIRD THURSDAY OF THE MONTH FROM 6:00 TO 8:00 PM. INFO: 890-0919
- HENDERSONVILLE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH – SERVING UP FREE MID-DAY HOT MEALS AT “LOVE’S KITCHEN” AT THE CHURCH -EVERY THURSDAY AROUND 11:30 AM, IT’S NOT ALWAYS THE FOOD THAT MEANS THE MOST TO THE FOLKS WHO TURN OUT FOR A WEEKLY MEAL AT FIRST BAPTIST. SOMETIMES IT’S JUST THE SMALL TOUCH OF LOVE THAT COMES WITH EACH PLATE THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. DIANNE MILLER, WHO FIRST ORGANIZED “LOVE’S KITCHEN” AT FIRST BAPTIST TWO YEAR AGO, DISCOVERED THE DIFFERENCE A LITTLE COULD MAKE IN PEOPLE’S LIVES NOT LONG AFTER THE PROGRAM BEGAN. “FIRST BAPTIST HAS A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN,” MILLER SAID. “IT HAS BEEN MY PRAYER TO USE IT FOR THIS SORT OF A THING. WITH SUPPORT FROM CHURCH STAFF, THE ORGANIZERS MADE A CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS WHO WANTED TO HELP PROVIDE MEALS TO THOSE IN NEED.” LOVE’S KITCHEN USES REAL DISHES AND SILVERWARE FOR THE WEEKLY MEAL. WHILE WALKING AMOUNG HER GUESTS DURING THE WEEKLY MEAL, MILLER NOTICED A MAN WHO SEEMED TEARFUL AS HE ATE. HE SAID, “I CAN’T BELIEVE I’M EATING OFF A REAL DISH. I HAVEN’T EATEN OFF A REAL DISH IN YEARS,’ MILLER SAID. THIS HOME COOKED “HOT” LUNCH IS SERVED EACH THURSDAY TO ALL WHO ARRIVE. ABOUT 100 GUESTS USUALLY COME EACH WEEK, BUT MILLER HAS SEEN AS MANY AS 132 COME FOR ONE MEAL. “LOVES KITCHEN” ALSO TRIES TO MEET ITS GUESTS’ OTHER NEEDS THROUGH PROGRAMS OFFERED ALONG WITH THE WEEKLY LUNCH. TWO NURSES CAME ONE WEEK TO PROVIDE BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENINGS. “LOVE’S KITCHEN” RECENTLY OFFERED EYE EXAMS AND FREE EYEGLASSES ANOTHER WEEK, THANKS TO THE HELP OF FRUITLAND BAPTIST CHURCH.
- NON-DENOMINATIONAL MONTHLY HEALING PRAYER TIME AT GRACE LUTHERAN,THE SECOND FRIDAY OF EVERY MONTH, GRACE LUTHERAN WILL AGAIN THIS YEAR OFFER HEALING PRAYER TIME BY THE GRACE PRAYER MINISTERS AND THE ORDER OF SAINT LUKE TO THE COMMUNITY IN THE CHURCH SANCTUARY. THOSE SEEKING PRAYER SUPPORT AND HELP SHOULD ARRIVE BETWEEN 1 AND 1:30 P.M. AND PLAN TO STAY AT LEAST 30 MINUTES. ATTENDEES ARE INVITED TO SIT QUIETLY AND SOAK IN THE PRAYERS BEING OFFERED UP FOR THEM WHETHER FOR PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL OR SPIRITUAL HEALING. THIS IS A CHRISTIAN BASED NON-DENOMINATIONAL TIME OF PRAYER. ALL ARE WELCOME. GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH IS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF SIXTH AVENUE WEST AND BLYTHE STREET IN HENDERSONVILLE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CALL 828-693-4890.
- “FREEDOM THAT LASTS” MEETS AT PROGRESS BAPTIST CHURCH ON RUGBY ROADAT 7:00 PM EACH FRIDAY NIGHT AND 10:00 AM SUNDAY, THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO ARE HURTING IN BODY, SPIRIT AND MIND. THE CHURCH IS AT 1935 N. RUGBY ROAD. FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL 419-0722
- “SAVE OUR SISTERS” FEMALE CANCER SUPPORT GROUP AT MUD CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH THE FOURTH SUNDAY OF EACH MONTH – 5:00 TO 7:00 PM – CLEAR WORD COUNSELING CENTER ON THE CAMPUS OF MUD CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH, HENDERSONVILLE. CHILD CARE PROVIDED UPON REGISTRATION. TO REGISTER AND RECEIVE MORE INFORMATION: 692-6383.
- MEMORY CAFÉ AT HENDERSONVILLE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH THE 2ND SUNDAY OF EACH MONTH FROM 1:00 TILL 3:00 PM. A MEMORY CAFÉ OFFERS THOSE WITH MEMORY LOSS AND DEMENTIA A LIVELY PLACE TO CONNECT WITH OTHERS, HAVE FUN, ENJOY REFRESHMENTS AND DO ACTIVITIES AND GET ASSISTANCE INFORMATION. THE PROGRAM IS FREE BUT NOT A DROP-OFF PROGRAM. CALL 489-6150 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
- CHILDREN’S CHURCH, THE THIRD SUNDAY OF EACH MONTH BEGINNING AT 9:00 AM AT ST. PHILLIP’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 256 E. MAIN STREET, BREVARD. CALL 828-884-3666
- “BEAR CLOSET” CUMMINGS MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, 3 BANNER FARM ROAD, HORSE SHOE. “BEAR CLOSET” IS THE NEW OUTREACH MINISTRY –“BABY EQUIPMENT AND RESORCE CLOSET”. THIS OUTREACH MINISTRY SERVES LOW-INCOME FAMILIES AND EXPECTANT PARENTS LIVING AT OR BELOW POVERTY LEVEL, AND STRUGGLING TO PROVIDE FOR THEIR BABIES AND CHILDREN, FROM PREEMIES TO AGE 6. PARENTS FILL OUT A NEEDS LIST AND, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF PERISHABLES. IF CLOTHING AND EQUIMENT ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE, THEY ARE LOANED FOR SIX MONTHS OR MORE. MAKE CHECKS OUT TO CUMMINGS MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. THE BEAR CLOSET IS NOW OPEN AND WILL OPERATE FROM 1:00 TILL 6:00 PM – THE 1st AND 3RD THURSDAYS OF EACH MONTH. INFO: 891-9413.
- “HELPING HAND” THRIFT STORE SEEKING ITEMS. THE BROOK
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT CORP, 5516 BOYLSTON HIGHWAY, MILLS RIVER. THIS IS A LARGE THRIFT STORE WHOSE FUNDING WILL GO TO MORE THAN 400 HOMELESS YOUTH OF HENDERSON COUNTY. THE HELPING HAND THRIFT STORE SEEKS CLOTHING, FURNITURE, HOUSEHOLD ITEMS, JEWELRY AND OTHER GENTLY USED ITEMS FOR RE-SALE. FOR MORE INFO: 458-3428 OR EMAIL: email@example.com
- MY SISTER’S CLOSET INVITES WOMEN OF THE COMMUNITY WHO NEED PROFESSIONAL CLOTHES TO WEAR TO WORK OR JOB INTERVIEWS TO VISIT THE CLOSET FROM 9:00 AM TO NOON – MONDAYS AT HENDERSONVILLE FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. INFO: 693-4275.
- THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF HENDERSONVILLE’S – 24-HOUR PRAYER LINE PHONE NUMBER. 693-PRAY. ALL CALLS ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND THIS SPECIAL PRAYER LINE IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. THIS IS A MINISTRY OF THE HENDERSONVILLE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. CALL 693-PRAY
- APPLE VALLEY CHURCH OF GOD – ANGEL FOOD MINISTRIES – A FOOD MINISTRY WITH A SERVANT’S HEART –– 2822 CHIMNEY ROCK ROAD. FOR INFORMATION AND MONTHLY MENU CALL 685-7640.
- CRAB CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH’S – ANGEL FOOD MINISTRIES – 72 JETER MOUNTAIN ROAD – TO HELP YOU STRETCH YOUR FOOD DOLLARS FOR THOSE OF THE COMMUNITY WHO ARE IN NEED. FOR INFO AND MONTHLY MENUS CALL 697-1214
- BIBLES SOUGHT FOR BLUE RIDGE PRISON AND JAIL MINISTRIES THROUGH ITS “BIBLE TOOLBOX PROJECT”. A BOX IS LOCATED AT THE OPEN DOOR CHRISTIAN SUPPLY IN THE BLUE RIDGE MALL. FINANCIAL DONATIONS CAN BE SENT TO BLUE RIDGE PRISON & JAIL MINISTRY – P.O. BOX 209, MOUNTAIN HOME, N.C. 28758.