WTZQ AND SUNDAY MORNING HYMN TIME PRESENT
THE CHURCH BULLETIN BOARD
Local and out of town announcements for special services and gospel concerts are listed – along with local church and club announcements for regular weekly or monthly events.
WTZQ AM 1600
Can be heard in
Asheville – Canton – Brevard – Tryon – Columbus – Shelby – Marion
and Upstate South Carolina
95.3 “Q” FM
Broadcasts all throughout Henderson County
Listen on-line anywhere – anytime
Special Notice: If your church has special services or singings coming up that you would like to promote on the Sunday Morning Hymn Time Page of WTZQ.COM and to have announced on the Sunday Morning Hymn Time Radio Program –please send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
CHURCH & GOSPEL SINGINGS
AND COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
The Bread Ministry of Balfour United Methodist Church has reopened, along with their food pantry on Monday’s from 3:00 – 4:00 pm.
Balfour UMC provides free bread to those who come from 3:00 to 4:00 – each Monday at the church. Balfour UMC is located at 2567 Asheville Hwy, Hendersonville, NC 28791 – across from Hunter Chevrolet.
Trinity Presbyterian Church, Announces $25,000 Donation Matching Fund for Interfaith Assistance Ministry (IAM) and Guatemala Sister Church
Trinity invites community to share in donation matching fund. Trinity Presbyterian Church, PCUSA has established a $25,000 fund to match individuals’ donations dollar for dollar to Interfaith Assistance Ministry (IAM) or to Fuente de Vida, Trinity’s sister church in Guatemala.
Trinity has long supported IAM in its mission to provide emergency relief to Henderson County residents experiencing financial crises. Last year, Trinity established a $15,000 matching grant which earned over $30,000 for IAM.
“As the largest nonprofit provider of crisis services and basic needs assistance in Henderson County, Interfaith Assistance Ministry provided more than 26,000 service touches in 2020,” said Elizabeth Moss, Executive Director. “IAM helps reduce hunger by providing nutritious grocery orders to our neighbors in need. IAM helps prevent new homelessness by providing financial assistance for rent. IAM helps keep the lights on and keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer when you don’t know where to turn for help. IAM helps struggling families clothe their children and put shoes on their feet. We couldn’t support so many in great need without the donations of our generous community.”
In 2006 Trinity established a partnership with their sister church, Fuente de Vida in Suchitepeque, Guatemala, to provide scholarships for children and young adults. Carole Ball, Trinity Coordinator for the partnership says, “The pandemic and inability to work in Guatemala left many parents unable to provide food for their family much less afford sending their children to school. Scholarship support is imperative if poverty is to be eradicated in Guatemala.”
Trinity welcomes the Henderson County community to join in doubling individual donations to IAM or to the Guatemala Fund by sending a check made out to Trinity Presbyterian Church. If you want 100% of your donation and its match to go to IAM, write “IAM Fund” on the memo line; if you want your donation to go to Guatemala, write “Guatemala” on the memo line. You may also choose to split your matching donation by indicating the split on the memo line.
Checks should be mailed to Trinity Presbyterian Church, 900 Blythe Street, Hendersonville NC 28791. Donations will be doubled and delivered to IAM and Fuente de Vida to help overcome the ravages caused by the Covid pandemic. Donations may also be made on-line by going to https://www.trinitypresnc.org/giving-back and entering donations in the IAM Fund or Guatemala Fund box.
“Trinity’s church doors are open again, but our hearts have never closed” says Rev. Dr. Mark Stanley. “Christ’s love and work have continued throughout the pandemic.”
Visit www.trinitypresnc.org. for a schedule of in-person and online worship services and a calendar of in-person and zoom events. All are welcomed!
UMC Men’s Group Accepting Merchandise for Annual Flea Market
The Etowah United Methodist Men are now accepting merchandise donations for the giant August 7th Etowah Flea Market. Merchandise is being accepted at the pavilion behind the church each Friday morning from 9AM to 11:30AM, through July 23.
So please clean out those attics, basements and garages now. They accept most any fairly good, clean merchandise— but please, no clothes, handbags, or shoes For further donation limitations, please go to the church web site at etowahumc,org/outreach flea market.
All proceeds from the August 7 Flea Market go to support local and regional charitable and mission projects.
Etowah UMC is located on Brickyard Road in Etowah, across from the library. For more information, go to the church web site or contact Dick Ranges at 828-707-0329.
St. John in the Wilderness Announces Summer Scholar-in-Residence Program
For nearly 150 years The Episcopal Church of St. John in the Wilderness was a summer parish that welcomed a guest priest in the warmer months to share the sacraments and proclaim the Gospel. Beginning July 4, the parish brings back that tradition by welcoming The Rev. Dr. William “Bill” Brosend, PhD. He will be preaching and teaching as part of the Summer Scholar-in-Residence Program each week until August 1.
The public is invited to attend the services each Sunday from July 4 to August 1 to hear Dr. Brosend at 8:45am or 11am. No RSVP is required.
Dr. Brosend was originally ordained in the Baptist tradition and has been an Episcopal priest for two decades. He is currently Professor of New Testament at the School of Theology at Sewanee: The University of the South, in Tennessee, where he has served in various capacities since 2006. He especially enjoys equipping Episcopal seminarians to become better readers of Scripture and more engaging preachers.
In addition to preaching at both services on Sundays, Dr. Brosend will offer a month long course called “Parables of the Kingdom.” He will offer a session between services (10:05-10:45) each Sunday across the street from the church in the Parish House’s Wilderness Room. On Thursday evenings, join Dr. Brosend for dinner at 5:30pm and class from 6:00-7:00pm. So food is not wasted, please RSVP for the Thursday dinners on the church website or by contacting the church office. The dinners are $6.00/person or $12/family. Each session with Dr. Brosend will be unique so participants can join in on Sundays and Thursday.
“This July, parishioners and neighbors will go on a journey with Jesus through the short stories He told to illustrate what the Kingdom of God is all about,” said Fr. Josh Stephens, the Rector of St. John. “Dr. Brosend is bringing a seminary quality course to us that will deeply shape our discipleship and how we understand our role in the world as followers of Jesus. Don’t miss out on this unique chance to study with an expert.”
While in Flat Rock, Dr. Brosend will be working on a book, Parable: A Commentary on the Stories of Jesus, to be published by Baker Academic Press in 2022. He hopes to find opportunities each week to talk about the parables, and also to talk about parish life, ministry, and the future of the church.
For more information contact the church office at 828-693-9783 or visit www.stjohnflatrock.org
St. John in the Wilderness – “Accent on Youth III” Concert Series ContinuesThe Episcopal Church of St. John in the Wilderness and Friends of Music will present tenor Alexander Harrelson in the third in a series of concerts entitled “Accent on Youth” on Sunday, August 1 at 3:30 pm in the Parish Hall.
The Tryon native will sing a varied program of music from Scarlatti, Samuel Barber, Beethoven, Lehar, as well as songs from musical theater. He will be accompanied by Music Director Dewitt Tipton.
Harrelson is a graduate of Davidson College and studied at the Musica Lirica in Novafeltria, Italy and at the International Vocal Artists Academy in Payerback, Austria. He competed at the national level of the Classical Singers Convention and has won prizes in the YoungArts competition.
Alex Harrelson has performed with the Hendersonville Youth Symphony Orchestra (in Mozart’s Bastien und Bastienne), attended the North Carolina Governor’s School for Choral Music, and attended Cannon Music Camp after receiving a generous scholarship from Laurel Lake Music Society.
The concert is free and open to the public. The Parish Hall is located at 1905 Greenville Highway across Rutledge Drive from the church. Donations will be accepted, all of which will go to the concert artist.
Trinity Lutheran Church, 108 E. King St., East Flat Rock has a NEW Blessing Box Ministry. The blessing box will provide personal care items: (shampoo, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, laundry detergent, toilet paper, lotion, sunscreen, personal products) for men, women, and children. We invite you to visit and take a few items to use with your family. Our box will be refilled on Sundays and Wednesdays. We invite you to worship with us on Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
Come into the church with your family (please wear a mask) or Listen to the service in our parking lot. Tune your radio to 100.1 FM. Communion (bread and wine) will be available in both places. Please visit our Facebook page at: TrinityLutheranChurchNC or our website: trinitylutherannc.org. The members of Trinity Lutheran Church look forward to meeting you soon!
REGULAR WEEKLY OR MONTHLY EVENTS FOR LOCAL CHURCHES AND CLUBS
Providence Baptist, 1201 Oakland Street, Hendersonville is a Cooperative Baptist Fellowship church, committed to being an open and welcoming community of diverse ages and faith backgrounds. We honor our Baptist history and values while leaving space for God’s Mystery to work in and through us, irrespective of denominational or religious affiliation. In all ways, we strive to love God and love our neighbors near and far.
Regular Sunday services at Providence, are:
9:00 am Spiritual Formation, Bible Study and Exploration for all ages
10:30 am Sunday Worship, The first Sunday of each month we celebrate Communion.
11:30 am Deeper Fellowship, A time for refreshments and conversation after worship.
4:00 pm Worship Meal at Providence House, a meal served to any and all.
Food pantry open Sunday 4:30pm – 6:00pm. Call 828-697-2878 or go to
- Spoken Word Church, located at 304 South Broad, Brevard, NC, Brevard. Our Faith IS the Victory and home of Pastors Sam &Sharon Bradham, graduates of Rhema Bible Training College in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.
- Sunday Services:
9:30-10:15a.m. School of The Word (With Joyce Seigel. Graduate of Rhema (RBTC)
10:30 a.m. Worship& Praise
11a.m. Message: “1 John 5:4”Visit our website: Spokenwordchurch.org as well as our YouTube Channel (Good for “shut-ins”). 828-884-5942
- “OASIS” AT GRACE LUTHERAN: DINNER, LEARNING & FELLOWSHIP FOR ALL AGES BEGINNING SEPT.13, AND CONTINUING UNTIL NEXT SPRING, THE COMMUNITY IS INVITED TO BE PART OF “OASIS,” GRACE LUTHERAN’S WEDNESDAY EVENING PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN, YOUTH AND ADULTS. BEGINNING WITH DINNER FROM 4:45 TO 5:30 P.M., THE EVENING CONTINUES FROM 5:30 TO 7:30 P.M. WITH EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES FOR ALL AGES INCLUDING CHOIR REHEARSALS, ADULT BIBLE STUDIES LED BY A PASTOR, YOUTH GROUP ACTIVITIES, AND SUPERVISED CHILDREN’S ACTIVITIES FOR AGES 5 YEARS THROUGH 5TH GRADE. CHILD CARE FOR CHILDREN BIRTH THROUGH 5 YEARS OLD WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE AFTER DINNER. FOR DINNER RESERVATIONS, PLEASE CALL THE CHURCH BY MONDAY AFTERNOON FOR THE UPCOMING WEDNESDAY MEAL. MEALS INCLUDE A MAIN DISH, VEGGIE CHOICES, DESSERT AND A SALAD BAR. THE COST FOR DINNER IS $5 PER PERSON, $3 FOR CHILDREN UNDER 12, AND $16 FAMILY CAP. THERE IS A WEDNESDAY EVENING CHILD MENTORING PROGRAM CALLED “STUDY BUDDIES” FOR CHILDREN AGES 5 YEARS OLD THROUGH 5TH GRADE. ADULT MEMBERS OF GRACE MENTOR CHILDREN IN THEIR SCHOOL WORK AND SPIRITUAL GROWTH. CHILDREN DO NOT HAVE TO BE MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH TO PARTICIPATE. TWO FORTY-FIVE-MINUTE SESSIONS ARE AVAILABLE FROM 4:15 TO 5 P.M. OR 5:15 TO 6 P.M. PARENTS SHOULD CALL 828-693-4890 AND REGISTER THEIR CHILDREN IN ADVANCE IF THEY WISH TO JOIN THE STUDY BUDDY PROGRAM. FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL YOUTH (6TH-8TH GRADES) THERE IS A PROGRAM EVERY WEDNESDAY EVENING AFTER OASIS DINNER UNTIL 7:30PM. PARENTS JOIN THE YOUTH AT 7:15 FOR A JOINT END TO THE MEETING CALLED “FINAL FIFTEEN”. ADULTS IN THE COMMUNITY ARE INVITED TO JOIN THE ENTIRE SERIES OR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING WEEKLY PROGRAMS IN FELLOWSHIP HALL. NO REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED, AND NO FEES ARE CHARGED. PASTOR GREG WILLIAMS WILL LEAD THE FIRST SIX-WEEK SERIES TITLED, “EMBRACING THE PROPHETS IN CONTEMPORARY CULTURE.” WALTER BRUEGGEMANN, ARGUABLY AMERICA’S LEADING OLD TESTAMENT SCHOLAR AND THEOLOGIAN, TAKES PARTICIPANTS THROUGH DVD-LED PRESENTATIONS ON A WILD RIDE THROUGH THE POETIC PROPHECY OF THE HEBREW SCRIPTURE, IDENTIFYING CULTURAL CONTEXTS, PUTTING A FRAMEWORK TO ISRAEL’S HISTORY, AND, MOST SIGNIFICANTLY—AND AT TIMES CHALLENGINGLY —DRAWING CONNECTIONS BETWEEN ISRAEL’S SOCIOLOGICAL, ECONOMIC AND SPIRITUAL STATUS AND THAT OF AMERICA TODAY. THIS SERIES WILL TAKE A BREAK ON OCT. 4 FOR PASTOR ALFREDO OVIEDO TO LEAD THE ADULT CLASS WITH AN INTRODUCTION TO CULTURAL AWARENESS MONTH AND ON NOV. 1, PASTOR OVIEDO WILL LEAD A CROSS GENERATIONAL CELEBRATION OF DIA DE LOS MUERTOS “DAY OF THE DEAD.” GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH IS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF SIXTH AVENUE WEST AND BLYTHE STREET IN HENDERSONVILLE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CALL 828-693-4890 OR VISIT THE CHURCH WEBSITE, GRACEHENDERSONVILLE.COM
- MUSIC CLASSES, BEGINNING TUESDAY, JANUARY, 31, TERRY BAKER WILL HOST A MUSIC SCHOOL AT WEST HENDERSONVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH TO TEACH MUSIC. TUESDAY NIGHT FROM 6 PM TILL 7 PM IS A CLASS ON VOICE AND EAR TRAINING. WEDNESDAY NIGHT FROM 6:30 PM TO 7:30 PM IS A CLASS FOR KIDS TO LEARN TO READ MUSIC, BY TEACHING THEM HOW TO PLAY THE RECORDER. THURSDAY NIGHT IS A CLASS FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO LEARN BASIC MUSIC READING FROM 6 PM TILL 7 PM AND THEN FOLLOWING THAT CLASS FROM 7 PM TILL 8 PM THERE WILL BE A CLASS ON ADVANCE MUSIC THEORY. THESE FREE CLASSES ARE TERRY’S WAY OF GIVING BACK WHAT GOD HAS GIVEN HIM OVER THE YEARS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL TERRY AT 828-329-8938
- NON-DENOMINATIONAL MONTHLY HEALING PRAYER TIME AT GRACE LUTHERAN,GRACE LUTHERAN WILL AGAIN THIS YEAR OFFER HEALING PRAYER TIME BY THE GRACE PRAYER MINISTERS AND THE ORDER OF SAINT LUKE TO THE COMMUNITY THE SECOND FRIDAY OF EVERY MONTH IN THE CHURCH SANCTUARY. THOSE SEEKING PRAYER SUPPORT AND HELP SHOULD ARRIVE BETWEEN 1 AND 1:30 P.M. AND PLAN TO STAY AT LEAST 30 MINUTES. ATTENDEES ARE INVITED TO SIT QUIETLY AND SOAK IN THE PRAYERS BEING OFFERED UP FOR THEM WHETHER FOR PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL OR SPIRITUAL HEALING. THIS IS A CHRISTIAN BASED NON-DENOMINATIONAL TIME OF PRAYER. EVERYONE IS WELCOME. GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH IS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF SIXTH AVENUE WEST AND BLYTHE STREET IN HENDERSONVILLE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CALL 828-693-4890.
- FREE CHORAL SHEET MUSIC, COMPLIMENTS OF SOR MUSIC (PRAISE AND WORSHIP, GOSPEL CHOIR, HYMN AND SPIRITUAL ARRANGEMENTS) “MUSIC THAT WILL UPLIFT YOUR SPIRITS.” LEARN MORE ABOUT SOR MUSIC AT: HTTPS://YOUTU.BE/IKUO8WHBMPS. LISTEN TO DEMOS OF FREE MUSIC AT: WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/SORMUSIC1. FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AT: WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/SORMUSIC1. FOLLOW US ON REVERBNATION: HTTPS://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/WILLIEELLEBIE
- RON CRANE AND THE “CHOSEN EDITION QUARTET” ARE AVAILABLE FOR SPECIAL SINGINGS AND CHURCH SERVICES, CALL RON AT 828-606-0365 FOR INFORMATION AND BOOKINGS. RON SANG WITH THE FAIRHAVEN QUARTET, HIGHEST HONOR AND OTHER LOCAL – NATIONAL AND REGIONAL QUARTETS.
- THE OLD FRIENDS QUARTET OF ASHEVILLE ANNOUNCES: IF YOUR CHURCH OR ORGANIZATION WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THIS GREAT LOCAL SOUTHERN GOSPEL GROUP – IN CONCERT – AT YOUR CHURCH FOR A SPECIAL WORSHIP SERVICE, CONCERT, OR IF YOUR CLUB OR ORGANIZATION WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THEM SING… YOU CAN CONTACT QUARTET MEMBER – ORVILE CUTSHALL AT  301-2278 OR  667-5758.
- GERALD & VERNA EDWARDS – PREACHING & SINGING – ALL THE GOSPELAVAILABLE FOR REVIVALS – HOMECOMINGS – SINGINGS – CONCERTS. THE EDWARDS HAVE BEEN SINGING FOR OVER 40 YEARS TOGETHER. TO CONTACT – CALL 478-784-1470 OR WRITE TO THEM AT GERALD & VERNA MINISTRIES –5305 ROGERS ROAD LIZELLA, GEORGIA 31052. TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THEIR MINISTRY…THEIR WEB-SITE IS: www.geraldandvernaministries.com.
- INVITIATION TO WORSHIP, FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF HENDERSONVILLE PCUSA INVITES ANYONE WHO IS LOOKING FOR A LOVING PLACE TO WORSHIP TO PLEASE JOIN US AT OUR NEW LOCATION FOR SUNDAY SCHOOL AND WORSHIP AT 610 YARBROUGH ST., HENDERSONVILLE, BEHIND THE FRESH MARKET. SUNDAY SCHOOL FOR ADULTS, CHILDREN AND TEENAGERS BEGINS AT 9 A.M. THE WORSHIP SERVICE STARTS AT 10 A.M. REFRESHMENTS AND FELLOWSHIP TIME FOLLOW THE WORSHIP SERVICE, LED BY THE REV. GRACE BOYER. THE CHURCH ALSO OFFERS A TUESDAY NIGHT BIBLE STUDY AND POTLUCK SUPPER PROGRAM FROM 6 TO 7:30 P.M. AT ROTATING LOCATIONS. FOR MORE DETAILS, PLEASE EMAIL FPC.HVL.PCUSA@GMAIL.COM.
- BALFOUR UNITED METHODIST CHURCH’S BREAD MINISTRY: FREE BREAD TO THOSE WHO COME FROM 3:00 TO 4:00 PM – EACH MONDAY AT THE CHURCH – U.S. 25 NORTH – ACROSS HUNTER CHEVROLET
- PILLOWCASE MINISTRY AT MUD CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH OF HENDERSONVILLE EVERY MONDAY MORNING, A DEDICATED GROUP OF VOLUNTEERS MEETS AT THE CHURCH TO SEW THE DONATED MATERIALS INTO BEAUTIFUL DRESSES, SHORTS, TEDDY BEARS, TOTE BAGS AND OTHER ITEMS FOR CHILDREN IN NEED AT HOME AND AROUND THE WORLD USING OLD PILLOWCASES, SLIGHTLY USED BED SHEETS AND VARIOUS SCRAPS OF CLOTH THAT FILLS THE UPSTAIRS CLOSETS AT MUD CREEK BAPTIST. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS MINISTRY CALL MUD CREEK BAPTIST INFORMATION OR TICKETS: 1-888-238-6858 OR
- TUESDAY AND THURSDAY WALKING EXERCISE CLASSES AT GRACE LUTHERAN, WELLNESS MINISTRY AT GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH INVITES THE COMMUNITY TO PARTICIPATE THROUGHOUT 2016 IN TWICE-WEEKLY FREE EXERCISE CLASSES TO PROMOTE HEALTHY BODIES. A WALKING EXERCISE CLASS IS OFFERED ON TUESDAY AND THURSDAY MORNING AT 9 A.M. IN STULL HALL. AFTER A DEVOTION, A WALKING DVD GIVES PARTICIPANTS THE OPTION TO WALK BETWEEN ONE AND FOUR MILES. WEIGHTS AND STRETCH BANDS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE. PARTICIPANTS CAN CHOOSE EASY WALKING OR VIGOROUS WORKOUTS AND DROP-INS ARE WELCOME. GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH IS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF SIXTH AVENUE WEST AND BLYTHE STREET IN HENDERSONVILLE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
- DANIEL: LIVES OF INTEGRITY, WORDS OF PROPHECY, EVERY TUESDAY AT, 9:00 AM AT HENDERSONVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. LADIES BIBLE STUDY TAUGHT BY BETH MOORE. EMAIL JOANNE NAGLE AT JNAGLE50@GMAIL.COM OR CALL 910-818-0695. LOCATED AT 699 N. GROVE ST.
- “WELCOME TABLE” SERVES MORE THAN A MEAL AT HOPE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF EAST FLAT ROCK SERVED EACH TUESDAY EVENING FROM 5:00 TILL 6:30 PM. A WARM NUTRITIOUS MEAL IS SERVED EVERY TUESDAY NIGHT TO ANYONE WHO COMES. THE CHURCH ALSO FEATURES A CHILDREN’S CORNER WITH ADULT SUPERVISION. 3 DEDICATED NURSES PROVIDE WEEKLY BLOOD PRESSURE CHECKS AND GENERAL HEALTH ADVICE. A DEVOTIONAL SERVICE IS ALSO OFFERED. SEVERAL PEOPLE COMING TO THE WELCOME TABLE ALSO HAVE BEEN HELPED IN THEIR SEARCH FOR SHELTER, JOBS AND A CHURCH HOME. NO ONE IS TURNED AWAY! EVERYONE WELCOME. CALL 230-3533 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
- MUD CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH ANNOUNCES “MOPS – ‘MOTHERS OF PRE-SCHOOLERS” – MEETS THE SECOND AND FOURTH TUESDAY OF EACH MONTH FROM 9:00 TILL 11:00 AM
- COMMUNITY SERVICE CENTER – THE ADVENTIST COMMUNITY SERVICES CENTER AT 2301 ASHEVILLE HIGHWAY, OPEN FROM 9:00 AM TILL NOON EVERY TUESDAY. THE CENTER IS SELLING CLEAN CLOTHING AT REASONABLE PRICES AND FUNDS WILL BE USED TO BUY FOOD AND PERSONAL ITEMS NEEDED BY THOSE WHO ARE OUT OF WORK AND NEED HELP. DONATIONS OF USED CLOTHING IN GOOD CONDITION ARE ACCEPTED DURING BUSINESS HOURS ON TUESDAYS. FOR INFO: 697-4288.
- CHRISTIAN MEN’S BREAKFAST BIBLE STUDY OPEN TO COMMUNITY (ALL YEAR EVERY WEDNESDAY, THE CHRISTIAN MEN’S BREAKFAST BIBLE STUDY IS CELEBRATING ITS THIRD YEAR WITH A GROWING MEMBERSHIP AND IS OPEN FOR NEW MEMBERS. THIS ECUMENICAL GROUP MEETS EACH WEDNESDAY AT THE DIXIE DINER ON US 64 WEST IN LAUREL PARK AT 7:30 A.M. EVERY WEEK, FOUR SCRIPTURES ARE CHOSEN PER THE WEEKLY LECTIONARY USED IN MOST CHRISTIAN LITURGICAL CHURCHES. THE FOUR SCRIPTURE LESSONS INCLUDE AN OLD TESTAMENT WRITING, A PSALM, AN EPISTLE AND A GOSPEL. PARTICIPANTS SHOULD BRING THEIR BIBLE OF CHOICE AND NO HOMEWORK IS REQUIRED. DURING THE BREAKFAST MEETING EACH ASSIGNED SCRIPTURE IS READ AND DISCUSSED REGARDING THE CONTEXT AND THE MEANING FOR PEOPLE TODAY. THOSE WHO ATTEND ORDER BREAKFAST FROM THE MENU AND ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COST. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CALL BOB ANDERSEN, STUDY FACILITATOR, AT 828-697-0464.
- FRIENDS IN CHRIST GROUP, TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH INVITES MEN OF THE COMMUNITY TO JOIN IN MEETING AS “FRIENDS IN CHRIST” AT 10:30 AM ON WEDNESDAY MORNINGS IN THE CHURCH LOUNGE. “FRIENDS IN CHRIST” OFFERS MEN A TIIME AND PLACE TO GET TOGETHER TO TALK AND SHARE PERSONAL FEELINGS WITH OTHER MEN WITHOUT FEAR OF BEING EMBARRISED OR JUDGED. WHILE BIBLICAL SCRIPTURE IS A MAJOR SOURCE FOR CLOSER CONNECTION WITH GOD AND EACH OTHER, “FRIENDS IN CHRIST” IS NOT A BIBLE STUDY GROUP. MEN SHOW UP BECAUSE THEY ENJOY BEING THERE AMONG FRIENDS OR FEEL A NEED TO BE PRESENT WHERE ALL ARE WELCOMED. MEN ARE INVITED TO COME TO LISTEN, COME TO SHARE, OR COME JUST TO BE A FRIEND TO OTHER MEN OF THE COMMUNITY IN WARM COMFORTABLE SURROUNDINGS AT TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. LOCATED AT 900 BLYTHE ST, HENDERSONVILLE, 828-692-6114.
- FAST PROGRAM FOR FIFTH AND SIXTH GRADERS, WEDNESDAYS AT 6:35 PM AND SUNDAYS AT 9:30 AM AT HENDERSONVILLE PRESBYTERIAN, 699 N. GROVE STREET, HENDERSONVILLE. FOR INFO: 828-692-3211.
- BLUE RIDGE CHRISTIAN CHURCH 147 OREN DRIVE, MILLS RIVER EXTENDS AN INVITATION TO ATTEND “BETTER CHOICES CLUB” WHICH MEETS EVERY THIRD WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH AT 7:00 PM TO DISCUSS FAMILY FINANCIAL TOPICS. INFO: 687-7826.
- GRACE LUTHERAN OFFERS EVERY WEDNESDAY “OASIS”: DINNER AND PROGRAMS FOR ALL AGES, GRACE LUTHERAN’S WEDNESDAY EVENING PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN AND ADULTS. BEGINNING WITH DINNER FROM 4:45 TO 5:30 P.M., THE EVENING CONTINUES FROM 5:30 TO 7:30 P.M. WITH EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES FOR ALL AGES INCLUDING CHOIR REHEARSALS, ADULT BIBLE STUDIES LED BY A PASTOR, YOUTH GROUP ACTIVITIES, AND SUPERVISED CHILDREN’S ACTIVITIES FOR AGES 5 YEARS THROUGH 5TH GRADE. CHILD CARE FOR CHILDREN BIRTH THROUGH 5 YEARS OLD WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE AFTER DINNER. THE COMMUNITY IS INVITED TO JOIN ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS IN FELLOWSHIP HALL. NO REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED, AND NO FEES ARE CHARGED. FOR DINNER RESERVATIONS, PLEASE CALL THE CHURCH BY MONDAY AFTERNOON FOR THE UPCOMING WEDNESDAY MEAL. MEALS INCLUDE A MAIN DISH, VEGGIE CHOICES, DESSERT AND A SALAD BAR. THE COST FOR DINNER IS $5 PER PERSON, $3 FOR CHILDREN UNDER 12, AND $16 FAMILY CAP. GRACE LUTHERAN ALSO OFFERS A WEDNESDAY EVENING CHILD MENTORING PROGRAM CALLED “STUDY BUDDIES” FOR CHILDREN AGES 5 YEARS OLD THROUGH 5TH GRADE. ADULT MEMBERS OF GRACE MENTOR CHILDREN IN THEIR SCHOOL WORK AND SPIRITUAL GROWTH. CHILDREN DO NOT HAVE TO BE MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH TO PARTICIPATE. TWO FORTY-FIVE MINUTE SESSIONS ARE AVAILABLE FROM 4:15 TO 5 P.M. OR 5:15 TO 6 P.M. PARENTS SHOULD CALL AND REGISTER THEIR CHILDREN IN ADVANCE IF THEY WISH TO JOIN THE STUDY BUDDY PROGRAM. GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH IS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF SIXTH AVENUE WEST AND BLYTHE STREET IN HENDERSONVILLE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CALL 828-693-4890 OR VISIT THE CHURCH WEBSITE.
- “CELEBRATE RECOVERY” MEETS AT LIVING WATER BAPTIST CHURCH THURSDAY’S FROM 6:30 PM TO 7:30 PM. THIS IS FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH AN ADDICTION. THE CHURCH IS ON SUGARLOAF ROAD, HENDERSONVILLE. FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL 606-9259
- THE ORDER OF ST. LUKE MEETS AT ST. JAMES EPISCOPAL CHURCH , THE THIRD THURSDAY OF THE MONTH FROM 6:00 TO 8:00 PM. INFO: 890-0919
- HENDERSONVILLE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH – SERVING UP FREE MID-DAY HOT MEALS AT “LOVE’S KITCHEN” AT THE CHURCH -EVERY THURSDAY AROUND 11:30 AM, IT’S NOT ALWAYS THE FOOD THAT MEANS THE MOST TO THE FOLKS WHO TURN OUT FOR A WEEKLY MEAL AT FIRST BAPTIST. SOMETIMES IT’S JUST THE SMALL TOUCH OF LOVE THAT COMES WITH EACH PLATE THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. DIANNE MILLER, WHO FIRST ORGANIZED “LOVE’S KITCHEN” AT FIRST BAPTIST TWO YEAR AGO, DISCOVERED THE DIFFERENCE A LITTLE COULD MAKE IN PEOPLE’S LIVES NOT LONG AFTER THE PROGRAM BEGAN. “FIRST BAPTIST HAS A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN,” MILLER SAID. “IT HAS BEEN MY PRAYER TO USE IT FOR THIS SORT OF A THING. WITH SUPPORT FROM CHURCH STAFF, THE ORGANIZERS MADE A CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS WHO WANTED TO HELP PROVIDE MEALS TO THOSE IN NEED.” LOVE’S KITCHEN USES REAL DISHES AND SILVERWARE FOR THE WEEKLY MEAL. WHILE WALKING AMOUNG HER GUESTS DURING THE WEEKLY MEAL, MILLER NOTICED A MAN WHO SEEMED TEARFUL AS HE ATE. HE SAID, “I CAN’T BELIEVE I’M EATING OFF A REAL DISH. I HAVEN’T EATEN OFF A REAL DISH IN YEARS,’ MILLER SAID. THIS HOME COOKED “HOT” LUNCH IS SERVED EACH THURSDAY TO ALL WHO ARRIVE. ABOUT 100 GUESTS USUALLY COME EACH WEEK, BUT MILLER HAS SEEN AS MANY AS 132 COME FOR ONE MEAL. “LOVES KITCHEN” ALSO TRIES TO MEET ITS GUESTS’ OTHER NEEDS THROUGH PROGRAMS OFFERED ALONG WITH THE WEEKLY LUNCH. TWO NURSES CAME ONE WEEK TO PROVIDE BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENINGS. “LOVE’S KITCHEN” RECENTLY OFFERED EYE EXAMS AND FREE EYEGLASSES ANOTHER WEEK, THANKS TO THE HELP OF FRUITLAND BAPTIST CHURCH.
- NON-DENOMINATIONAL MONTHLY HEALING PRAYER TIME AT GRACE LUTHERAN,THE SECOND FRIDAY OF EVERY MONTH, GRACE LUTHERAN WILL AGAIN THIS YEAR OFFER HEALING PRAYER TIME BY THE GRACE PRAYER MINISTERS AND THE ORDER OF SAINT LUKE TO THE COMMUNITY IN THE CHURCH SANCTUARY. THOSE SEEKING PRAYER SUPPORT AND HELP SHOULD ARRIVE BETWEEN 1 AND 1:30 P.M. AND PLAN TO STAY AT LEAST 30 MINUTES. ATTENDEES ARE INVITED TO SIT QUIETLY AND SOAK IN THE PRAYERS BEING OFFERED UP FOR THEM WHETHER FOR PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL OR SPIRITUAL HEALING. THIS IS A CHRISTIAN BASED NON-DENOMINATIONAL TIME OF PRAYER. ALL ARE WELCOME. GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH IS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF SIXTH AVENUE WEST AND BLYTHE STREET IN HENDERSONVILLE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CALL 828-693-4890.
- “FREEDOM THAT LASTS” MEETS AT PROGRESS BAPTIST CHURCH ON RUGBY ROADAT 7:00 PM EACH FRIDAY NIGHT AND 10:00 AM SUNDAY, THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO ARE HURTING IN BODY, SPIRIT AND MIND. THE CHURCH IS AT 1935 N. RUGBY ROAD. FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL 419-0722
- “SAVE OUR SISTERS” FEMALE CANCER SUPPORT GROUP AT MUD CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH THE FOURTH SUNDAY OF EACH MONTH – 5:00 TO 7:00 PM – CLEAR WORD COUNSELING CENTER ON THE CAMPUS OF MUD CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH, HENDERSONVILLE. CHILD CARE PROVIDED UPON REGISTRATION. TO REGISTER AND RECEIVE MORE INFORMATION: 692-6383.
- MEMORY CAFÉ AT HENDERSONVILLE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH THE 2ND SUNDAY OF EACH MONTH FROM 1:00 TILL 3:00 PM. A MEMORY CAFÉ OFFERS THOSE WITH MEMORY LOSS AND DEMENTIA A LIVELY PLACE TO CONNECT WITH OTHERS, HAVE FUN, ENJOY REFRESHMENTS AND DO ACTIVITIES AND GET ASSISTANCE INFORMATION. THE PROGRAM IS FREE BUT NOT A DROP-OFF PROGRAM. CALL 489-6150 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
- “OVERCOMING EMOTIONS THAT DESTROY” CLASS AT MUD CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH SUNDAY’S FROM 5:00 TILL 7:00 PM. THE CHURCH IS AT 430 RUTHLEDGE DRIVE, HENDERSONVILLE AND EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO ATTEND THESE CLASSES. FOR MORE INFO: 692-1262.
- CHILDREN’S CHURCH, THE THIRD SUNDAY OF EACH MONTH BEGINNING AT 9:00 AM AT ST. PHILLIP’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 256 E. MAIN STREET, BREVARD. CALL 828-884-3666
- THE INTERFAITH ASSISTANCE MINISTRY SEEKS DONATIONS IAM HAS SEEN AN INCREASE IN THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE REQUESTING FOOD. THE FOOD PANTRY NEEDS CHILI, CANNED BEFF STEW, CANNED BEANS AND PORK AND BEANS. ALSO, THEIR CLOTHING CLOSET NEEDS BLANKETS AND WARM CLOTHING. IAM RECEIVES DONATIONS FROM 9:00 AM TO 3:30 PM, MONDAY THRU FRIDAY AT 210 EHRINGHAUS STREET. MONETARY DONATIONS FOR PURCHASING ITEMS CAN BE SENT TO IAM, P.O. BOX 2562, HENDERSONVILLE, N.C. INTERFAITH ASSISTANCE MINISTRY IS A FAITH-BASED NONPROFIT PROVIDING ASSISTANCE TO HENDERSON COUNTY RESIDENTS SINCE 1984. FOR INFO: 697-7029.
- “BEAR CLOSET” CUMMINGS MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, 3 BANNER FARM ROAD, HORSE SHOE. “BEAR CLOSET” IS THE NEW OUTREACH MINISTRY –“BABY EQUIPMENT AND RESORCE CLOSET”. THIS OUTREACH MINISTRY SERVES LOW-INCOME FAMILIES AND EXPECTANT PARENTS LIVING AT OR BELOW POVERTY LEVEL, AND STRUGGLING TO PROVIDE FOR THEIR BABIES AND CHILDREN, FROM PREEMIES TO AGE 6. PARENTS FILL OUT A NEEDS LIST AND, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF PERISHABLES. IF CLOTHING AND EQUIMENT ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE, THEY ARE LOANED FOR SIX MONTHS OR MORE. MAKE CHECKS OUT TO CUMMINGS MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. THE BEAR CLOSET IS NOW OPEN AND WILL OPERATE FROM 1:00 TILL 6:00 PM – THE 1st AND 3RD THURSDAYS OF EACH MONTH. INFO: 891-9413.
- “HELPING HAND” THRIFT STORE SEEKING ITEMS. THE BROOK
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT CORP, 5516 BOYLSTON HIGHWAY, MILLS RIVER. THIS IS A LARGE THRIFT STORE WHOSE FUNDING WILL GO TO MORE THAN 400 HOMELESS YOUTH OF HENDERSON COUNTY. THE HELPING HAND THRIFT STORE SEEKS CLOTHING, FURNITURE, HOUSEHOLD ITEMS, JEWELRY AND OTHER GENTLY USED ITEMS FOR RE-SALE. FOR MORE INFO: 458-3428 OR EMAIL: email@example.com
- MY SISTER’S CLOSET INVITES WOMEN OF THE COMMUNITY WHO NEED PROFESSIONAL CLOTHES TO WEAR TO WORK OR JOB INTERVIEWS TO VISIT THE CLOSET FROM 9:00 AM TO NOON – MONDAYS AT HENDERSONVILLE FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. INFO: 693-4275.
- THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF HENDERSONVILLE’S – 24-HOUR PRAYER LINE PHONE NUMBER. 693-PRAY. ALL CALLS ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND THIS SPECIAL PRAYER LINE IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. THIS IS A MINISTRY OF THE HENDERSONVILLE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. CALL 693-PRAY
- APPLE VALLEY CHURCH OF GOD – ANGEL FOOD MINISTRIES – A FOOD MINISTRY WITH A SERVANT’S HEART –– 2822 CHIMNEY ROCK ROAD. FOR INFORMATION AND MONTHLY MENU CALL 685-7640.
- CRAB CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH’S – ANGEL FOOD MINISTRIES – 72 JETER MOUNTAIN ROAD – TO HELP YOU STRETCH YOUR FOOD DOLLARS FOR THOSE OF THE COMMUNITY WHO ARE IN NEED. FOR INFO AND MONTHLY MENUS CALL 697-1214
- BIBLES SOUGHT FOR BLUE RIDGE PRISON AND JAIL MINISTRIES THROUGH ITS “BIBLE TOOLBOX PROJECT”. A BOX IS LOCATED AT THE OPEN DOOR CHRISTIAN SUPPLY IN THE BLUE RIDGE MALL. FINANCIAL DONATIONS CAN BE SENT TO BLUE RIDGE PRISON & JAIL MINISTRY – P.O. BOX 209, MOUNTAIN HOME, N.C. 28758.